Friday, February 1, 2008

Grumpy Part III

OK, so maybe this is just getting old, or maybe I'm becoming bitter in my old age (I'm almost 25). I've been a real jerk on three different occasions this week.

1. Biochemistry. I was a little later than I usually am to the class, meaning I walked in as the professor started. I found a seat in the back with a couple other people from the Viticulture & Enology department (henceforth referred to as VEN), sitting next to one guy in particular who I'll just call "Dude". So, here were five "kids" sitting in front of us, who were stealing each other's notebooks, writing notes, re-stealing them and giggling. This went on for about 10 minutes. We have a mid-term coming up. Dude and I looked at each other and figured it was time to teach a life lesson. Dude led off by grabbing two of their shoulders and saying, "You wanna quit fucking around? It's starting to piss me off." Not to leave my 2 cents sitting in my pocket, I followed up with, "It's much cheaper to pass notes in High School."

2. Later that day, Dude and I were in another class that we share. A kid in front of us thought it would be a good idea to bring a box of cereal to class. Seriously, it took him 5 minutes to open the damn thing - during class - and the teacher doesn't speak that loud either. Grumpy here asked "Kid, you think you can do that any louder?!?" Kid replied, "uh... Sorry man." Dude was sitting next to me, cracking up silently.

3. We have these neighbors who have this annoying puffy little yap dog that NEVER shuts up. They also had a sign on their front gate that proclaimed "Bitch Boulevard" until the wind mercilessly blew it down a couple weeks ago. Damn dog was barking up a storm during my lunch, so I went over and in my low blood sugared state asked the dog owner to do something about it. "It's a dog, it barks. Why do you care?" she told me. I told her "Not all dogs bark as often or as annoying as that one, and it's ruining my lunch."

Maybe I'm just stressing about mid-terms next week. Maybe I'm a jerk. Maybe little things just bug the crap out of me for some reason. Maybe it's somewhere in between, but at this point, I'm not going to worry about it anymore.

I mean, I try to treat others like I would like to be treated. But in my mind, if I was jerking around during class disrupting everyone around me, making noise opening a box of cereal or letting my annoying ass dog bark all afternoon, someone would be well within their rights to hit me with a little common courtesy, which I would deserve at that point.

1 comment:

Melody said...

I totally would have done the same thing with the dog scenario. In fact, I have done the same thing. We used to have next door neighbors who lived in a one-bedroom w/ a golden retriever, it was very sad. Anyway, they decided that it was time to "train" the dog to stay outside when they wanted some privacy, but the dog didn't like it and so it would be out on the patio yapping and whining constantly. I would go over and say "Hey, can you please let your dog in; he obviously doesn't like being outside and nobody wants to listen to him." I got some attitude and they wouldn't pick up their dog poop in retaliation so it always freakin stank, but then they moved away suddenly one day....so, my point is, maybe one day the bitch blvd. peeps will just up and leave, too. Miracles happen every day :)