Tuesday, January 15, 2008

I Suck Too; Maybe I'm Just Grumpy

Yeah, I know it's been DAYS since I posted last, hence the title.

Updates: We live in wonderful Davis, CA. It's actually a pretty cool town, but not like home. Got a real nice condo out here. Just celebrated our first anniversary. I've got a job at a high end kitchen retailer in Sacramento (your choices are rather limited, and it's got nothing to do with a Table).

Now: What compelled me to post.

I am so sick of seeing all these college girls running around campus with their honking big sunglasses, their designer bags (or at least expensive knock-offs) and these damn UGG slippers. For those of you who don't know, they're these sheepskin boots that come up to about mid calf, and are quite unattractive and not flattering at all (just go google them, you'll get it). I know I can't exactly avoid college age people at a major university, but it's starting to get to me. The slippers probably get me the most; Davis isn't even that cold. If this were Fargo, ND I would understand, or maybe some place where the weather is constantly ugly like Seattle. But here? It was 58 and partly cloudy today (actually a gorgeous day), and plenty of leather slippers.

Not that the Guys aren't offenders as well. Most of them roll out of bed, hose themselves off with some sort of "Manly" body spray and come to class. The problem is, I can smell homeboy from 10 rows back and end up with a headache while he tries in vain to hook up with the girl next to him (and she's prolly got huge sunglasses in her expensive bag that's sitting next to her stupid UGG slippers).

Finally, people around here are such bad Pedestrians. Forget driving or riding a bike. They find ways to stand in the most inconvenient places and chit chat with their friends. Unlike them, I (unfortunately) have somewhere to go, and actually plan on getting there sometime today. And going back to the bike thing, You really don't want to know how many kids (yes, kids) I've seen with one hand on the handlebar and another holding the phone (most of the offenders happen to be wearing those damn slippers too). I mean, c'mon, at least get a Bluetooth - hands free would really have it's advantages on a BIKE. I'm sure that one of these days I'm gonna get blindsided by a moccasin wearing, bug eyed biker on a cell phone and it'll cost me an ACL and 3 months on my feet.

Makes me think that I'm either:
A. That much more mature than most all of the students here, and it's unreasonable to expect them to conduct themselves as I would.
OR
B. I'm out of touch with people 5 years younger than me and I'm just getting old and grumpy.

Welcome to the College Experience of the late 2000's.

2 comments:

Melody said...

First of all, it's the early 2000's. Second of all, you're like 24: you are college age. Third of all, back off the Ugg wearers, many of us are from SoCal and anything below 70 is cold as hell to us. Now, I will validate your Ugg hatred by saying that Ugg wearing girls who wear them outside their pants or with skirts are stupid. As for calling your peers "kids," you are married which makes you automatically at least 10Xs more mature and have at least 10Xs as much responsibility. So: old or grumpy, no, young and borderline curmudgeonly, yes. P.S. fun times reading your blog :)

Will said...

I suppose I should make the 2000's comment a little more finite: the late portion of the first decade of the 21st century.

I think I'd get it more if they were waterproof or if we lived in someplace bloody cold like Antarctica. It's really aimed those who wear them as a fashion statement, they bug me.